Wednesday, January 3, 2007

the bad break up


Ok, i'm gonna do it; i decided at approximately 8:55, five minutes before the 9 o'clock slot, that I was ending my dependant relationship with my t.v. well at least for this month and we'll reassess the status of our relationship in one month's time.

i had to come to terms that it was taking up way too much of my life, my creativity, and energy. i was never a "t.v. person" or the type to discuss what happened on ER or Survivor last night. (nothing against those shows, but i had a life that was entertaining and keep me busy). after moving, things have changed; it's quiet and i have found the t.v. to be my dinner companion, as well as the one to tuck me "in" many nights.

it's not so much about t.v., per say, as it is about being creative again- while the t.v. provides voices in a quiet house, i think all the noise has been clouding my ideas. even when i drag the sewing machine into the living room things are not from that authentic space. how's that for an art therapist throwback statement? we hush so many joyful sounds and catch ourselves too often mesmerized by commercials and reality t.v. ( oh yeah)! don't get me wrong, i will be lamenting tonight's new top chef in a few minutes. but i would like to see what can be done in the next month if i listen to the hum of my loyal sewing machine, maybe with a little deb talan in the background? the something burning will be my machine, tearing down the quilt ditches!

it is not a perfect relationship, but at least it is giving. my sewing machine loves me, she loves me not, as i stop to re-thread my needle again. my anxiety about going to sleep without my other lover, the t.v. increases... goodnight

1 comment:

Clementine said...

Yay! Welcome to the blogosphere! I can't wait to read your posts.